Health benefits of melon
Cantaloupes or melons are packed with essential vitamins and minerals. They contain almost no fat or saturated fat, which make them the perfect refreshing desert or snack for kids or adults. Their high content of water makes it excellent to fight off dehydration on a hot day of summer. ...
Here are six of its most significant health benefits:
(1) Lower risk of developing asthma: This is due to the fact that melon is high in nutrients like beta-carotene and vitamin C, which are important nutrients that may protect against asthma. Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant that plays an important role in wound healing and repair of cartilage, bones and teeth.
(2) Healthy skin, hair, teeth, bones and eyes: Vitamin A contained in cantaloupe is important for healthy teeth, skin, bone and mucous membranes. It also helps the vision by promoting retinal health. Some antioxidants contained in melon may also help prevent age-related macular degeneration. Insufficient vitamin A may lead to poor functioning of the immune system.
(3) Digestion and hydration: Cantaloupe is high in both fiber and water, which helps to prevent constipation, keeps your digestive tract healthy and helps avoid dehydration, especially during hot summer days.
(4) Cancer prevention: Its high beta-carotene content may also play a protective role against prostate cancer, according to recent research studies. Melon is also packed with vitamin C, which is an antioxidant that can help prevent cancer.
(5) Inflammation: The choline nutrient in cantaloupe is very useful to maintain the structure of cellular membranes, helps with the transmission of nerve impulses, assists in the absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation.
(6) Heart health: Potassium is an important mineral in the maintenance of heart health. Cantaloupe is high in potassium and can contribute together with other high-potassium foods to lower blood pressure and reduce the impact of high-sodium foods. ...