Health Benefits of Flaxseed
Flaxseed is known to be one of the most powerful plant foods and has been proven to have many health benefits. As shown by recent studies, flaxseed may help in stabilizing blood sugar, lowering cholesterol, promoting weight loss, increasing immunity, reducing bone loss, and fighting cancer. They can also prevent hot flashes and protect against radiation. Flaxseed contains all kind of components, but the following are a proof of its great reputation: (1) Vitamins and minerals (B vitamins, magnesium, and manganese)(2) Fiber(3) Lignans, an estrogen-like chemical compounds with antioxidant qualities, able to hunt free radicals in the body(4) Omega-3 fatty acids, key to fighting inflammation. ...
The health benefits of flaxseed can help you lower the risk of getting one of the following diseases.
(1) Fight cancer. Studies show that flaxseed may have a role in fighting cancer, particularly colon and breast cancer. The benefit is based on its high concentration of lignans, which are believed to inhibit tumor growth.
(2) Lower blood cholesterol and blood sugar levels. The soluble fiber in flaxseed has been shown to lower cholesterol, helping to prevent the buildup of plaque, which can clog arteries and lead to high blood pressure, stroke, or heart attack. Fiber is also believed to lower blood sugar levels, which is important for people who have type 2 diabetes.
(3) Inflamation: Two of its components, ALA and lignans, may reduce the inflammation that accompanies certain illnesses by helping block the release of certain pro-inflammatory agents. This allows your immune system to function better. Preliminary research suggests that flaxseed can help relieve autoimmune and inflammatory disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, and lupus.
(4) Lowering cholesterol: Researchers at the Iowa State Universitys Nutrition and Wellness Research Center found that cholesterol levels lowered among men who included flaxseed in their diet.
(5) Help with weight management: Flax expands when ingested, making you feel fuller. You might want to take flax 30 minutes before meals to control your appetite.
(6) Improve digestive health: The fiber in flaxseed can help relieve constipation and make you more regular.
(7) Hot Flashes: One study of menopausal women, published in 2007, reported that 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed mixed into cereal, juice, or yogurt twice a day cut their hot flashes in half. ...