Exercise, the most effective solution against aging
Wrinkles, bad memory or painful knees scare you? In other words you are not looking forward to getting old? There might be good news for you. A recent study has shown that exercise might actually play a very important role in slowing down the aging process.The study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and showed that mice that were genetically designed to age more quickly reversed their fate by exercising. They looked and behaved like healthy young mice, while their non-exercising counterparts were losing their fur, fertility, and interest in social interaction. Another good news is that it’s never too late to start exercising. Other studies have shown that even those who have spent far too much time being sedentary can still reap the benefits of exercise, and gain energy, mobility and promote healthier organs....
If you want to start reversing your aging process, here's a list of the top exercises to reduce the effects of aging that Everyday Health came up with:
(1) Leg Exercises to Reduce Swelling (Edema): As you age, you're more likely to experience peripheral swelling (legs, calves, and feet).To reduce such swelling, lie on your side and circle your top leg in the air.
(2) Weight Lifting to Help Prevent Bone Loss: Osteoporosis, or thinning of bones, is another common senior health concern. Studies show that you can combat osteoporosis by doing load-bearing or weight-bearing exercises for at least 30 minutes three times a week.
(3) Swimming to Ease Arthritis Pain: People with arthritis can benefit from swimming and warm-water exercises.
(4) Walking to Help Protect Against Dementia: Researchers found that walking regularly every week cut the risk for developing cognitive decline and dementia by 50 percent.
(5) Jogging to Keep You Sharp After an Illness: Running may protect against memory loss after an illness.
(6) Yoga to Boost Fitness, Ease Constipation: The so-called “silver yoga” for senior health helps reduce body fat, systolic blood pressure and sleep disturbances among older people — while also improving their balance, endurance, and overall fitness. It can also ease constipation....