Snake Bite

General or Other | Emergency Medicine | Snake Bite (Symptom)


Symptoms of snakebite depend on the type and size of the snake, the location of the wound in the body, and the age, size and health of the victim. Children are more likely to have severe symptoms because they receive a higher concentration of poison, because of their smaller body size. Also, not all snake bites involve the discharge of poison in the victim.

The snake venoms are heme (cause damage to blood and other tissues) or neurotoxic (causing damage to nerves). The cymbals, with the exception of some Mojave rattlesnakes have haemotoxic venom. The potent venom of Mojave rattlesnake has neurotoxic activity. Coral snakes also have neurotoxic venom.

Diagnosis and Treatment

If a person is bitten by a snake it is important that he or she remains calm, immobilizing the bitten arm or leg, and staying as quiet as possible to keep the poison from spreading through your body.

Cleansing the wound without flushing it with water, and covering it with a clean, dry dressing is very helpful. It is also recommended to apply a splint to reduce movement of the affected area, but it should be kept loose enough so as not to restrict blood flow.

Immediate medical attention, especially if the area changes color, begins to swell or is painful should be sought.